Friday, February 8, 2013

A WORD OR TWO ABOUT IMPENDING DOOM (SNOWSTORMS)....AND BEER

          So I got the idea for this post when I was out fighting the masses off at my local grocery store. Here in the Northeast, we're famous for moderate winters (with heavy snowfall on and off), but even more famous (lately) for losing power for weeks at a time when one of these storms occur. Now honestly, I have a laundry list of beer-related things that I need to be doing (updating my scrap book, planning future events), but then I realized that this is the perfect opportunity for us all to hunker down and reflect upon our favorite beverage.
          As most of you know, there are many different beers for any occasion.There are beers that are made for the summer- light, crisp and often citrus or hop-based. There are beers that are meant to taste like a barbecue pit, or even ones that are reminiscent of ripe fruit..... So what, do you ask, is the perfect beer to hunker down with during a couple feet of falling hell?
          Right at the moment I am having a Samuel Adams Boston lager (and listening to Dvorak's New World Symphony, which is fabulous I might add), and it is the perfect " in the moment" beer. Full-flavored and all purpose, this same beer would be perfect to sneak into a movie theater. It coats the tongue well, and really gets the job done as far as taste goes. With lots of grain of the back, I literally want to join the Sons of Liberty and head out to fight the Red Coats.
          One of the reasons why this libation is so great is because any beer can be this " in the moment" beer that I speak of. What the hell are you really in the mood for? Although we can all argue that some just should never have been brewed, most beer can bee good when it is enjoyed under the proper circumstances. The catch is though, that these circumstances are different for everyone.
          You should be asking yourself what beer would make this particular moment even better or in my example..... "If I could be snowed in with 12 beers, which 12 would I choose". I suppose I could be more formal about all of this, and douse you guys with a lesson in flavor profiles, but hey, we're gonna be snowed in for awhile so just get to beering and let me know what you have ;)

@CTbeerfiend


No comments:

Post a Comment