Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Brewery Meet New Blog



       Going along with my natural love for the art of brewing (and drinking) beer, comes my fascination with how and where beer is made. While some people choose to relax on their days off, maybe play a few rounds of golf or catch up on ironing clothes, I'm out canvassing the state and beyond for these pilsener producing palaces.
       My latest adventure began when I dropped by to say hello to my friend Ron at my local beer store (be cure to check out Sonoma Wines and Spirits if you're ever near Glastonbury) and couldn't believe that there were three beers that I had never tasted, much less even seen. A brewery in MY backyard that I hadn't known about? Preposterous you might say, and this is exactly how I felt. Little did I know that Two Roads Brewing Company in Stratford (CT) would be so prepared for me!
       The three beers that I had were all well above average (little did I know that they were being brewed by a legend of the industry), and I knew that I had to find out more. Their double IPA "Road 2 Ruin", has a pleasant lingering hop presence that continues to remind me of why I love craft beer. With a piney twang and lots of citrus on the nose and palate, this is a double that I feel would be geared toward drinkers who find Lagunitas and other IPA heavy brewers too over the top. Their Ol' Factory Pils is clean and nimble. Far from the popular commercialized versions on the shelf, this is a beer that you want to play on your team. Lastly, and my favorite so far, is their Honeyspot Road white IPA. Earthy and herbal with hints of rosemary and tonic water, this beer leaves me wanting, nee needing more. The perfect balance between hoppy and sweet, this beer hits all the marks like a sharpshooter.
       With all of this wonderful beer drinking I decided that I needed to visit the brewery as soon as possible. I took a day trip with my lovely girlfriend/head photographer and spent my birthday with the fine folks at Two Roads viewing their set up and tasting some of the freshest beer I've had in awhile. The brewery is housed in the old Baird building and was built in the early twentieth century, this adds character and charm to the brewery.
       I was quite surprised to see just how much was going on at Two Roads. Normally, you don't expect to see a set up this polished and ready to run in a brewery this young. The equipment was well made and they have a beautiful tasting room equipped their current line up on tap as well as growler fillers on the second floor. I was also quite pleased to spot a couple barrels that appear to be aging something as yet unreleased (I was given a little inside scoop from my tour guide and new best friend Emily, but I don't want to spoil anything!). If you visit and get the privilege of taking a tour, ask to see their keg cooler (it blew my mind).
       So this is what beerinmybackyard is all about. A good deal of drinking, some discovery and ultimately getting to share these experiences with my friends (that's you guys). I hope that you all get a chance to visit Two Roads Brewing Company in person, I can't wait to see the fantastic work they're going to do in Connecticut and beyond.
       Thanks guys and dolls, and remember to take some time to think not only about the beer that you are drinking, but the people that make it all possible!!!

       p.s. the address is as follows so VISIT!!!!!: 1700 Stratford Avenue, Stratford, CT 06615. 203 335  2010

Untappd- CTbeerfiend
Twitter- @CTbeerfiend

No comments:

Post a Comment